Sunday, March 15, 2009

Early Modern Views of Infanticide

I'm researching this topic a bit more than the others because I'm trying to flesh out an idea for a research paper. I've stumbled across some very interesting articles along the way one of which is written by Keith M. Botelho an assistant professor of Early Modern British Drama at Kennesaw State University in Georgia. In his article "Maternal Memory and Murder in Early Seventeenth Century England", he takes an analytical look at some of the literature from the period concerning infanticide. He argues that these texts "emphasize the disruptive power of maternal forgetting, a dissident social practice that challenges male sovereignty and signals a breakdown of female community" and that they "point to the increasing anxiety and opposition to this liminal figure of the murderous mother" (113). This article might prove to be very helpful if I choose to write on the topic of infanticide.

Article citation:
Botelho, Keith M. "Maternal Memory and Murder in Early-Seventeenth Century England."
SEL Studies in English Literature 1500-1900. 48.1 (2008). 113-130. Project Muse.
http://muse.jhu.edu/

1 comment:

  1. How goes your paper on infanticide? Your blog came up in a google search of my name (I'm the author of the article you cite). Hope it goes well. Feel free to email at my KSU address. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete